I’m such an idiot. I’m having to throw away the 2.5 chicken breasts in this photo because I forgot to put the plate in the fridge after it cooled last night. Good bye lunch that I was looking forward to all morning.
This was the best dish I’ve made in the slow cooker yet. It only took 2.5 hours on high and was oh so satisfying. I’ll be making it again very soon.
Slow-cooker mole chicken, courtesy of Martha Stewart
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12)
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Season chicken thighs with salt and place in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. In a blender, puree tomatoes, onion, ancho and chipotle chiles, almonds, raisins, chocolate, garlic, oil, cumin, and cinnamon until smooth. Add tomato mixture to slow cooker, cover, and cook on high until chicken is tender, 4 hours (or 8 hours on low). Enjoy!