- 6 TB unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 3/4 cup APF and 3/4 cup barley flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1+ pound strawberries, hulled and halved
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (what I used).
Whisk flour or flours, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are a given.) Let cool in pan on a rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving with lightly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.